Monday, April 25, 2011

How has the Cross changed my life?

I recently addressed a local gathering of "United Evangelical" friends at the Good Friday service in the city I live. I stated that for those perishing, the cross is foolishness, and they honestly believe that the death of a man half-a-world-away over 2,000 years ago has had no impact on their lives. In contrast, those of us who are being saved (1 Corinthians 1:18-25) count the cross as the power of God, and understand that for us, the cross has indeed changed everything about out lives.

So I compiled a list from my own devotions and from John Piper's book, "50 Reasons Why Jesus Christ Came to Die." When the reason is closely associated with a "50 Reasons" chapter title, I will cite the chapter. Here we go.
  • Whereas I used to be an object of God's wrath, I am now loved by God as a son. (Romans 1:18)
  • Whereas I used to hate God, I now love Him. (Romans 1:30, 1 John 4:7-8)
  • Whereas I used to be imprisoned to sin, I am now set free from my sin. (Romans 8:2)
  • Whereas I used to live in bitterness and anger, I am now free to choose joy in Christ. (Philippians 4:4-7)
  • Whereas i used to be a grudge-holder, I am now forgiven so that I can forgive. (Matthew 6:9-14)
  • Whereas I used to be an orphan in this world, I am now adopted in God's love. (John 14:18)
  • Whereas I used be cut-off from the people and promise of God, I have now been brought near. (Ephesians 2:13)
Because of the cross:
  • I was born into my earthly family.
  • I was raised to know and love the Scriptures. (2 Timothy 3:14-17)
  • The wrath of God against my sin has been absorbed. (5o Reasons, #1) (Galatians 3:13; Romans 3:25; 1 John 4:10)
  • The experiences of my own youth do not define me. (Psalm 25:7)
  • I have seen the treasure of God's love and grace for sinners. (5o Reasons, #5) (Romans 5:7-8)
  • I have seen the treasure of Christ's love and grace for sinners. (5o Reasons, #6) (Ephesians 5:2)
  • The demands of the law against me have been canceled. (5o Reasons, #7) (Colossians 2:13)
  • The experiences of my pre-Christ life do not define me. I am forgiven. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
  • My mind and heart have an expanded use (they are spiritually alive) by God which includes knowing and loving the truth and rejecting deceit and the wisdom of this world. (James 3:13-18)
  • I have been declared righteous by the holy God (5o Reasons, #10, #15) (Romans 3:23-25)
  • My conscience is clear (5o Reasons, #16) (Hebrews 9:14)
  • I can love others since He first loved me. (Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 5:2)
  • I have discernment and boldness to reject supernatural "signs" which do not glorify Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:4)
  • I have discernment and boldness to reject wisdom which is merely "earthly." (James 3:15)
  • I am healed of moral defects (and some physical ones!). (5o Reasons, #18) (Isaiah 53:5; Matthew 8:16-17)
  • I have been reconciled and brought to God. I am His and He is mine. (5o Reasons, #23) (Romans 7:4; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
  • I can come boldly before the throne of grace (I must ask things of God!!) (Hebrews 4:16)
  • I am not defined by heredity or ancestry. (5o Reasons, #28) (1 Peter 1:18-19)
  • I have grounds for boasting only here at the cross. (5o Reasons, #33) (1 Corinthians 1:31; Galatians 6:14)
  • My marriage has it's deepest meaning. (5o Reasons, #35) (Ephesians 5:25)
  • I belong to a community of crucified followers (dead to sin, alive in Christ). (5o Reasons, #38) (Luke 9:23; Matthew 10:38)
  • The rulers and authorities of this world have been disarmed and crushed forever. (5o Reasons, #42) (Colossians 2:14-15; 1 John 3:8)
  • My own ridiculous racism is destroyed. (5o Reasons, #44) (Ephesians 2:14-16)
  • It has been shown to every "why does God allow bad things to happen to good people" question that the worst evil in the history of the world, the crucifixion of Christ, was meant for good by God. (5o Reasons, #50) (Genesis 50:20; Acts 4:27-28)
So, the next time someone asks you, "but what difference does the cross of Christ really make? I hope your mouth and mine are full of quick and certain answers like these. Furthermore, it is my hope to inspire you to live every moment taking full advantage of these excellencies and learning to treasure them more and more--even above life itself. For Christ indeed has accomplished the will of the Father that we might enjoy the Father forever. Happy Easter!!

No comments: