Monday, October 4, 2010

Ryan turns 14

My son Ryan turned 14 a couple days ago. I love him so much.

He is amazing. He is unbelievably responsible. He does what he says he'll do. He's the only one of my sons who gets to be a little brother and a big brother--and he does them both incredibly well. He's smart and funny. He loves animals and little kids. He has a "black-and-white" personality that he got from his mom, because some things are just wrong. I continue to see more of Jesus shining through his personality everyday, and I know it's God's doing (not mine!).

He's good at sports, but he doesn't live for them and I like that balance. He likes to be at home but he's not lazy. He loves his friends and his heart is turned toward the family. I love that.

Ryan has a great relationship with his mom, too. They laugh a lot. She will occasionally attack the young man with one of her patented wrestling moves and he pretends to resist. They play the "who is taller?" game often, with Nik always going down in defeat these days. His loyalty translates into protection of her, and that gives this man's heart a sense of appropriate satisfaction.

While I am looking forward to the man he will be, I can wait for it to happen. I am enjoying every day I have with my son, and I want to extend my days with him. It seems as though I just started counting my blessings with my children (you never start soon enough), and immediately I see my counting days are numbered. I should have started counting a little sooner, I suppose.

Ryan, I'm proud of you. I love you with all my heart just because God gave you to me. Happy birthday!

No comments: