Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Delight yourself in the LORD

True confession: I don't always know how to "Delight [myself] in the LORD." I want to, though.

Here is what I'm learning, though: God always makes me happy, and not having God always (eventually) makes me unhappy. Or, stated again, I am whole (blessed, complete) when I pursue God and fragmented (dissatisfied, broken) when I try to find pursue anything but God.

You already know this, and I do, too--and that should result in the constant and easy decision to "put to death" any and everything that is not "the way, the truth and the life." Then I add up the dollars I have spent recently, and the hours I have wasted; days I have wasted, and can't help but be frustrated with my own insanity.

Just a reminder to myself here: God brings happiness and is happiness. I will be happy as I tell the truth and enjoy him; as I love purity which flows from Him; as I take initiative in a world that needs to see His love; as I forgive others and release anger because that's what God has done in Christ; as I release possessions because no physical possession can ever bring me happiness. Never.

Oh, Lord, you alone are my delight. May I grow up in your grace! May I consistently pursue life and the happiness that you alone bring. May the "desires of my heart" be trained upon you alone. May I desire truth in the inward-most place in my heart. When I search for You, I find you.

No comments: