Monday, April 12, 2010

The struggle

"Why do bad things happen?"

This is the question that I have been asked more than any other question in my life. Why cancer? Why me? Why did God allow this? Why now?

One of the things that unites the hearts of every person who has ever lived is struggle. Life is never without obstructions, set-backs, turmoil and pain. And we should not be surprised that it gets worse as we get older.

We spend lots of time and emotional energy--not to mention money--on trying to avoid struggling. We buy diet pills, get Botox injections, take vitamins, seek therapy and watch Oprah (exchanging one struggle for another), all in an effort to minimize and avoid problems.

But there exists no example of growth without pain and sacrifice. A caterpillar leaves behind it's old self to become a butterfly. A tree lies dormant and naked in it's toil to grow taller and stronger. We knowingly tear muscles down in order that they be healed, coming back stronger. We even call that process becoming "ripped" because of all the purposeful pain we inflict upon ourselves to get there.

I will never grow in comfortable times. The more comfort and ease I have, the more I desire more comfort and ease, and that comfort yields a flabby and self-focused monster--always wanting more ease and less stress on me.

I take immense comfort from knowing that (Romans 8:28) that the afflictions I endure--all the afflictions I endure in Christ--are for my good. I struggle through the loss of loved ones, relational stress and disappointment, not getting my way, being overlooked, and generally enduring hardness in the this world. All of those things create in me a need for my Savior moment-by-moment, a desire for more of him and less of me and a true longing for heaven that doesn't flow from bitterness or fear, but out of hunger and hope.

I am learning to expect troubles and struggles and to allow those things to direct my attention to the only one who can help me. He allows winters so knock the leaves off off of my tree and prepare me for the next season of active growth. This growth requires death and even a harsh winter. But it results in a glorious spring and a stronger tree.

It's a good struggle that I am just beginning to learn to embrace.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I agree completely Jon, you find yourself depending more on God than on your own strength and more about how much He loves us and praying more often during the day. It does help though to know that God never sleeps and is always in control know matter what happens I just love that about our Great Great God.