Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cry out to the Lord

What does it mean to "Cry out to the Lord?"  (2 Chronicles 20:1-13)

A powerful and huge army is approaching Jehoshaphat, putting the people of Judah in deep trouble.  Their opponents have more people and more weapons.  They are a numerous horde of people, and Judah, on paper, could not withstand this attack.

Jehoshaphat did NOT do several things.  He did not try every option and then, because nothing seemed to be working, turn to the Lord.  He did not pray as he made up his mind about what to do next.  He did not "pray" and then try to get others to "answer" his request through the power of suggestion.

As I prepare a sermon on 2 Chronicles 20, I am learning what "Crying out to the Lord" is all about.  Here are some things I am starting to learn:

1.  Cry out to the Lord, even if it's your fault.  I am in no position to complain if he chooses to NOT deliver me.  Jehoshaphat was told that an earlier alliance with Ahab was a sin that God was going to judge.  I don't know if this situation was judgment for sin or just a trial to produce faith.  Even if the situation you find yourself in is judgment for your sin, your only source of help comes from the LORD.  Cry out to him.

2.  Cry out to the Lord, even if it seems too late.  By the time Jehoshaphat got the word that an army was assembled against him, he had no hope of winning a war.  They were 15-20 miles away, and they grossly outnumbered him.  But he prayed.  And he led his friends to cry out to the Lord.  "Guys," he said, "earnestly pray, and fast."  Honestly, turn off the TV, get rid of the phone, go into a room and talk to God.  It's not too late if you can still pray.

3.  Cry out to the Lord, even if the foe is huge.  Depression?  A load of debt?  A season of life you despise? An ending you didn't want?  A foe who is succeeding?  A sense in your heart that the very name of God is being trodden in the mud?  Addiction?  Honestly, with hands off every option, cry out to the Lord.  If the answer seems to make you look completely stupid, trust the Lord.

4.  Cry out to the Lord, making no move to act in your own defense.  Oh, how I love the words spoken by Jehoshaphat:  "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You."  Honestly, now--when was the last time you prayed--and meant--that prayer?  I confess that I have only prayed that prayer three-four times in my whole life.  And it was always right before I learned the best lessons of my life.  Now, we can't contrive these lessons, and to be fair, life is not meant to be lived in "alarming" and dangerous moments at all times.  But these dangerous moments that make fear well-up inside of us are opportunities to cry out to the Lord.

So Lord, I lay down my defense, I refuse to devise a fleshly plan, and I know that I don't deserve it, but today, with my danger in view, I cry out to you.  I do not know what to do, and my eyes are fixed upon you.


No comments: