Friday, February 1, 2013

Without u, us is just an "s"

In the past week my mind has been blown by gifted ministers of the Gospel.

The leaders of a ministry to young and married people are planning a pizza party for other couples in the church.  The leaders are happy to pay for the entire event themselves.  Lots of young married couple are coming together!  (Yes, you're invited.)

I see one car in particular at church a TON.  This lady is committed to teaching the Bible verse-by-verse to women at our church (and kids) every week.  She is here 3-5 times per week.  She has taught countless dozens of women to feed themselves in the Word.

The team planning a missions conference at our church has met several times to ignite a passion in our church for global evangelism--because it is God's heart.

The women's ministries team at our church met to think and pray about leading women's hearts to the Word.  "True Woman" Conference, older teaching younger (I use "older" loosely), reaching out to recent guests?  Check.

A knitting ministry sent out gifts to people as they sought the Lord.  One lady wrote a "thank-you" on Facebook that described how the gift came just at the right time!

Our men's ministry guys are coming together for a "No Regrets" conference this weekend.  I see our leader trying to work it out for people who couldn't otherwise afford it through creative payment options and other help.  Lots of guys are going to encounter Christ because our guys took some initiative and paid money out of their own pockets.

I filled out a reference for a guy in Cru this week.  He's going to "Summer Project" to continue to develop a heart to serve, give and share Jesus.  He is from a broken home, but somehow Jesus is putting him all back together.

I heard the snowblower and salter going often this week.  One of our guys is out in the frigid cold at ungodly hours so that when you and I arrive at church there is nothing to worry about.  And this makes the Gospel go forth in power.

Two ladies I know spent hours shopping for and preparing a meal for people they will only meet once in this world.  It involved picky requests and food allergies.  They fed close to 50 people and then they cleaned up and went home and moved on to the next thing.  Today, there are gluten-free treats in the church office baked by one of those servants.

A lady I work with loves the kids she serves so much!  She picked one up this week who is 10 years old and whose life is upside-down.  She parked a block from school while he composed himself and stopped crying before re-affirming her love for him and hugging him tight.  She saw him later that day and he was still riding high because she loves him in Jesus.  She told me this story through tears.

My senior pastor devotes himself to study and preparation each week so I can know truth from error.  he cares so much for my soul (and yours!).

A leader in an ABF took initiative by getting involved in his "sheep's" life.  How will this sheep make decisions, clean up his apartment and get his bills straight?  The ABF family is getting involved and loves this guy.

When it was cold and snowy Wednesday night, a slew of workers came in to teach the Gospel to children.  We had a great turn-out and I know that great spiritual work took place in the lives of many--especially my wife's small group who cried and prayed together.  I'm glad we didn't cancel.  Thank-you, ministers!

I got a call last night from the man who oversees mercy ministries in our church who is helping out an undisclosed family for an undisclosed amount so they can make it another month.  You wouldn't believe the generosity I see.

And these stories just begin to scratch the surface of ministries I get to see each week.  At the heart of all these relationships--it's Jesus.  The mission for all these relationships?  Announce the words and works of Jesus.

Christ is everything.

I am reminded to treasure these things as I think of the "Jethro Principle" of Exodus 18.  Divide the work up to trustworthy people who God has gifted.  Then?  Pray and get out of the way.  What a great week!

No comments: