Friday, October 14, 2011

Speechless

I know what you are thinking and I agree. It is ridiculous (and a little annoying) to write a blog entry (based on nothing but words) and entitle it "Speechless." Indulge my annoyance this once.

Today my wife turns, well, another year older. I think she has finally reached the threshold of secrecy in terms of the actual number, and so, as a husband who wants to make this day perfect, I shall apologetically reveal this number another day. Suffice it to say, she has no reason to avoid revealing her number. She is literally more beautiful than ever. She's in the best shape of her life (I should know) and we are getting older TOGETHER--there's something incredibly comforting about that. It does seem that I'm getting older faster than her somehow.

Nikki came into my life around her fourteenth birthday. I was drawn to her because of her balance. She is funny and serious-minded. I have pictures of her doing the silliest things in her childhood. Standing with a group of girlfriends in the boys' bathroom at youth group (she has her hip cocked to one side and looks very proud of herself), wrestling her mom at a family gathering in the park, and a professional portrait of her and her brother Adam wearing some kind of sweet Muppet hats. But serious, too. She has always been serious about her relationship with Christ.

She was and is the "good girl." I don't mean that in a self-righteous, "no-fun" sort of way (though there was one concert we attended and got soaked to the bone because she refused to take shelter under the amphitheater because the tickets we purchased were "lawn" tickets--even though there was plenty of room under there . . . ). She has maintained a passion and consistency in following Christ. She is happy to follow Jesus. Through her character I have learned that following Christ is incompatible with a lot of my own "that's just the way I am" things like compulsive speeding and serial "trying-to-shield-you-from-the-pain-of-the-whole-truth" half-truths. I have been graciously changed by this woman, and I love her.

So Nikki, I thank my God for you. It is my intention to always have my mouth full of praise for you in the "gates" of all my relationships. And you make it easy. I thank God for your health (you're looking good), your wisdom (thank-you for giving up your life to raise our children with contentment!), your relationships (can I get together with you for some coffee?), and for making me the most blessed man ever by faithfully loving me.

She won't even be offended by me closing this birthday entry with a "Go Brewers!"

Happy birthday, Nikki. I love you!

1 comment:

Mom said...

A mother and father could not wish for more in a husband than what you provide for our daughter. We know you love her with all your heart, and aside from the Lord Jesus Christ, she is your life. We love you all...